I am Lebanese, and one of my favorite traditional foods is a bread product with Za’atar on it! Now, since I am eating lower carb and leaning out, I don’t really have the macros to eat legit za’atar bread. So I set out to get creative in the kitchen and make a low carb version!
I got the initial idea because an Instagrammer I follow posted a paleo version and it popped up in my feed. I began thinking about how on earth I could make that prep friendly….and then it hit me! Adapt my cauliflower pizza crust! So this past weekend, that is exactly what I did! It actually turned out really well! I ate it so quickly!
– 1 cup “riced” cauliflower (you can do this yourself at home, OR you can be lazy like me…or efficient with your time?? and buy pre-riced cauliflower. You can find it at Trader Joes or Green Giant brand at Target.)
– 1 tbs liquid egg whites
-1 tbs coconut flour (you could also use almond flour)
– 1 tbs za’atar blend spices
– 1 to 2 tsp olive oil (depending on your preferences)
1) Steam riced cauliflower (or in my case….defrost it!)
2) Squeeze out any liquid from the cauliflower. This is important!!! Cauliflower will hold water, so grab a cheese cloth or paper towels and squeeze as much water out as you can!
3) Place cauliflower, egg whites and coconut flour in mixing bowl and stir up well.
4) I used a small cast iron, but place parchment paper on your baking sheet or cast iron.
5) Press the cauliflower “dough” onto the parchment paper so it forms a circular crust.
6) Place in a preheated oven at 350 for 30 minutes.
7) Check on it, it should be starting to get a little golden…not much but just a tad. If so, take it out.
8) Mix your olive oil and za’atar spices and spread onto your cauliflower crust.
9) Place it back in the oven for about 8-10 minutes so it heats up nicely.
10) Take it out and CONSUME!